Munchkin Masquerade Virtually
Most years downtown Boulder is invaded by thousands of tiny ghosts & goblins, dinosaurs & dragons, fairies & princes, superheroes, and animals of every size trick-or-treating along Pearl Street. This year, as we all navigate life in a pandemic, the Downtown Boulder Partnership has adapted Munchkin Masquerade to include physically distanced games and activities that can be enjoyed downtown for two weeks leading up to Halloween (October 14 - November 1, 2020). You'll also find some trick-or-treat alternatives and other Halloween activities that can be done from home.
We encourage children of all ages to join us by dressing up in your Halloween costume with a face covering to help us celebrate safely together. If you choose to participate in our activities downtown, we thank you for working with us to follow Boulder Community Health Guidelines to keep our community happy and healthy. Check out our Visit Safe page for details.
Check back soon for additional activities and grand prize drawing information from our sponsor, Sunflower Bank!
Thank you to our Sponsor:
"Spooky Munchkin" Bingo
October 14 - November 1, 2020
Find the hidden “spooky munchkin” characters in several downtown retail stores. All of the locations can be found on our Munchkin Masquerade Bingo card. Come on downtown - in your Halloween costume and mask - to see if you can find enough of them to make a BINGO - five in a row!
Rules to Play:
Participants will be able to access a PDF of our bingo board here beginning October 14, 2020
The bingo board will have a clue for the hiding place of each “spooky munchkin” (check back for photos)
You can get a BINGO - five in a row - by finding characters at each location and…
Snap a photo of each one you find
Having a grown-up snap a picture of you at the “free spot” located at the photo booth outside of Sunflower Bank
Submit your completed bingo cards with photos by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org - the first 30 completed cards will win a goodie bag of prizes (available to pick-up at Sunflower Bank, 1738 Pearl St)
If we are allowed to share on social media - please let us know we have that permission!
BINGO CARD WILL BE AVAILABLE 10/14/2020
"Masked" Photo Costume Contest
October 14 - November 1, 2020
While you are downtown to play bingo, dressed up in your Halloween costume with your mask incorporated, Sunflower Bank (1738 Pearl Street) will have a special Halloween photo backdrop set up for a grown-up to take your photo.
- Have a grown-up take your photo in front of the photo backdrop in front of Sunflower Bank, or with another downtown backdrop of your choosing throughout the downtown area
- Send us your photo by emailing email@example.com
- Your pictures will be posted on social media and the photo that receives the most “likes” will win a $50 Gift Certificate to Into the Wind.
Downtown Halloween Coloring Sheets
One of the best parts of Munchkin Masquerade is seeing all the vibrant colors of the costumes, candy, fall leaves, and storefronts in Downtown Boulder. Capture some of this colorful day at home on these custom Munchkin Masquerade coloring sheets. Click the button below for some funky, spooky, Halloween-themed coloring sheets! If you would like, send us a photo of your artwork. We would love to see if you would like to share!
Trick or Treat at Home
If you aren’t able to come downtown to participate in our physically distant bingo game or masked photo contest - not to fear! There are plenty of fun Halloween games and activities you can do right at home. Here are a few ideas we thought up to keep your Halloween spooky and delightful!
Trick-or-treat around the house
- Hide candy behind doors all around the house - doesn’t have to be limited to doors to rooms but can include closets, cabinets, pantries, wardrobes, etc.
- To make finding the candy a bit easier - think about sticking a “pumpkin” or some other seasonal sticker on the doors where kids might be able to find the candy
- Let the kids have tons of fun filling up their candy baskets!
“Treating” a friend!
- Make a Halloween basket full of holiday treats and leave it outside of a friend's house for them to enjoy
- Make it a game! Leave the candy anonymously, but with clues to have your friend guess who left them the candy basket - this can be anything that might help them guess who you are! Be clever :)
- Or, just keep it simple and wish your friend a very happy Halloween
More Halloween at Home Ideas & Traditions
The Switch Witch
- If you haven't heard of the "Switch Witch" you're in for a true parent treat! The Switch Witch is a good witch that visits your house while your kids sleep, takes their Halloween candy, and switches it for an awesome toy. Come up with a fun backstory - and feel free to call her the Candy Fairy if you'd like. You can also let the kiddos pick out a few special pieces of candy to enjoy (slowly, of course). Just like Santa Claus, the Switch Witch enjoys receiving letters from kids with their most desired toy.
Carve a pumpkin!
- A classic Halloween activity! Some of our favorite Halloween memories are made picking out the perfect pumpkin to take home and carve. We hope you’ll give it a try!
- Here are some fun, no-carve pumpkin decorating ideas for little ones!
Other Fun Ideas