Munchkin Masquerade Virtually
Most years downtown Boulder is invaded by thousands of tiny ghosts & goblins, dinosaurs & dragons, fairies & princes, superheroes, and animals of every size trick-or-treating along Pearl Street. This year, as we all navigate life in a pandemic, the Downtown Boulder Partnership has adapted Munchkin Masquerade to include physically distanced games and activities that can be enjoyed downtown for two weeks leading up to Halloween (October 14 - November 1, 2020). You'll also find some trick-or-treat alternatives and other Halloween activities that can be done from home.
We encourage children of all ages to join us by dressing up in your Halloween costume with a face covering to help us celebrate safely together. If you choose to participate in our activities downtown, we thank you for working with us to follow Boulder Community Health Guidelines to keep our community happy and healthy. Check out our Visit Safe page for details. Also check out these Halloween tips and tricks from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment (CDPHE) and this Halloween guide from the City of Boulder.
Want even more fun at home? You won't want to miss the science and nature-themed kids' offering from our Boulder musical pals Jeff & Paige! Jeff & Paige’s Halloween Special is a professionally produced, pre-recorded movie/concert from the big stage of the historic Colorado Chautauqua Auditorium, a high-quality, virtual offering that you can use to kick off your safe and socially-distant festivities. Streaming HERE October 23 - November 9, 2020. Use code "J&PFRIENDS" and knock $3 off the ticket purchase!
Make sure you get a chance to enter the Prize Drawing, courtesy of Sunflower Bank by participating in any of the activities below! Additional details provided below.
Thank you to our Sponsor:
"Spooky Munchkin" Bingo
October 14 - November 1, 2020
Find the hidden “spooky munchkin” characters in several downtown retail stores. All of the locations can be found on our Munchkin Masquerade Bingo card. Come on downtown - in your Halloween costume and mask - to see if you can find enough of them to make a BINGO - five in a row!
Rules to Play:
Access a PDF of our bingo card by clicking the button below (PLAY BINGO)
The bingo card lists the store locations for the hiding place of each of our 4 “spooky munchkins” (images of each at the top of the card)
You can get a BINGO - five in a row - by finding characters at each location and snap a photo of each one you find
Submit your completed bingo cards with photos by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or turning them in at Sunflower Bank - the first 36 completed cards will win a goodie bag of prizes (available to pick-up at Sunflower Bank, 1738 Pearl St, Monday - Fridays 9 am - 5 pm and Halloween day from 2 - 4 pm - while supplies last)
If we are allowed to share on social media - please let us know we have that permission!
If you'd like to enter for the Prize Drawing (described below) make sure you provide a name and phone number for the entry!
"Masked" Photo Costume Contest
October 14 - November 1, 2020
While you are downtown to play bingo, dressed up in your Halloween costume with your mask incorporated, Sunflower Bank (1738 Pearl Street, Monday - Fridays 9 am - 5 pm and Halloween day from 2 - 4 pm) will have a special Halloween photo backdrop set up for a grown-up to take your photo.
- Have a grown-up take your photo in front of the photo backdrop in front of Sunflower Bank, or with another downtown backdrop of your choosing throughout the downtown area
- Send us your photo by emailing email@example.com
- Your pictures will be posted on social media and the photo that receives the most “likes” will win a $50 Gift Certificate to Into the Wind
- All entries will be automatically entered for the Prize Drawing (described below) - make sure you provide a name and phone number for the entry!
Downtown Halloween Coloring Sheets
One of the best parts of Munchkin Masquerade is seeing all the vibrant colors of the costumes, candy, fall leaves, and storefronts in Downtown Boulder. Capture some of this colorful day at home on these custom Munchkin Masquerade coloring sheets. Click the button below for some funky, spooky, Halloween-themed coloring sheets! If you would like, send us a photo of your artwork.
We would love to see if you would like to share - send us a picture of your completed coloring sheet (to firstname.lastname@example.org) - or as added incentive to bring them to Sunflower Bank to help them decorate their location with all the beautiful artwork you create, Sunflower Bank will provide Halloween goodie bags to the first 20 participants who drop off their coloring sheets at the branch, 1738 Pearl St (Monday - Fridays 9 am - 5 pm and Halloween day from 2 - 4 pm). To enter for the Prize Drawing (described below) - make sure you provide a name and phone number on the back of your coloring sheet!
Grand Prize Drawing courtesy of Sunflower Bank
October 14 - November 1, 2020
Sunflower Bank is proud to sponsor the 2020 Munchkin Masquerade and is donating six (6) prizes to be given away via random drawing as you participate in any of the activities provided here. Enter to win by turning in your completed Munchkin Bingo Cards, entering the Photo Contest or simply by turning in a completed Coloring sheet!
Entries will be accepted by emailing them to email@example.com or by dropping them off at Sunflower Bank, 1738 Pearl St (Monday - Fridays 9 am - 5 pm and Halloween day from 2 - 4 pm). No purchase necessary to enter, please just indicate that you'd like to be entered for the prize drawing and provide a name and number. Winners will be notified the week of November 2, 2020.
- Kid's Mini Ball Pit (one available)
- Kid's Bikes (three available)
- Girl's Night In Basket (includes chocolate, popcorn, sparking water, wine glasses and a Halloween arts and crafts activity)
- Date Night Basket (wine from Cured, wine glasses, gift cards to downtown restaurants and your choice of a Cured meats and cheese platter or a take away dinner). Must show proof of age to obtain this prize.
Trick or Treat at Home
If you aren’t able to come downtown to participate in our physically distant bingo game or masked photo contest - not to fear! There are plenty of fun Halloween games and activities you can do right at home. Here are a few ideas we thought up to keep your Halloween spooky and delightful!
Trick-or-treat around the house
- Hide candy behind doors all around the house - doesn’t have to be limited to doors to rooms but can include closets, cabinets, pantries, wardrobes, etc.
- To make finding the candy a bit easier - think about sticking a “pumpkin” or some other seasonal sticker on the doors where kids might be able to find the candy
- Let the kids have tons of fun filling up their candy baskets!
“Treating” a friend!
- Make a Halloween basket full of holiday treats and leave it outside of a friend's house for them to enjoy
- Make it a game! Leave the candy anonymously, but with clues to have your friend guess who left them the candy basket - this can be anything that might help them guess who you are! Be clever :)
- Or, just keep it simple and wish your friend a very happy Halloween
More Halloween at Home Ideas & Traditions
The Switch Witch
- If you haven't heard of the "Switch Witch" you're in for a true parent treat! The Switch Witch is a good witch that visits your house while your kids sleep, takes their Halloween candy, and switches it for an awesome toy. Come up with a fun backstory - and feel free to call her the Candy Fairy if you'd like. You can also let the kiddos pick out a few special pieces of candy to enjoy (slowly, of course). Just like Santa Claus, the Switch Witch enjoys receiving letters from kids with their most desired toy.
Carve a pumpkin!
- A classic Halloween activity! Some of our favorite Halloween memories are made picking out the perfect pumpkin to take home and carve. We hope you’ll give it a try!
- Here are some fun, no-carve pumpkin decorating ideas for little ones!
- Baking is a great tradition for all sorts of holidays. Food Lab is offering Kid Halloween Baking Kits (Take-Home). Includes an optional zoom class on Thursday, October 29th from 3 - 5 pm. ($40 - includes recipe and all of the ingredients for four types of treats.)
Other Fun Ideas