Virtual Tulip Fairy and Elf Festival
In most years, Spring officially arrives in Downtown Boulder when the vibrant Tulip Fairy, along with pint-sized fairies and elves, gather on the Pearl Street Mall ‘welcoming the tulips’. In the midst of the statewide stay-at-home order this year, Downtown Boulder decided to get creative about how to bring this beloved springtime tradition to our local families.
Welcome to our virtual event page - with history and activities for you and your family to enjoy. We encourage children of all ages to join us by dressing up in your Tulip Fairy or Elf best (or any other costume that your hearts desire!). Share with us via email or on social media to be added to our Community Gallery. Tag @DowntownBoulder and use #LoveTheLocal and #TulipFairy2020.
Thank you to our Presenting Sponsor:
See the Tulips on Pearl Street
The Tulip Fairy & Elf Celebration is all about the gorgeous tulips that are planted each year along the Pearl Street Mall. The tradition started in the late 70s, when Boulder’s then sister city, Meppel, Holland would send 5,000 tulip bulbs annually to be planted along the Mall. A form of this tradition continues to this day when every fall the City of Boulder’s Parks Department plants 15,000 brand new tulip bulbs that are imported directly from Holland. With some help from Mother Nature over the winter months, the tulips start to peek out of the ground sometime between late March and early April.
We invite you not to miss the gorgeous display in-person, but check out our Tulip Gallery for a sneak peak at what you'll find on the Pearl Street Mall this spring. If this year you will be admiring from afar, follow us on Facebook and/or Instagram for continual doses of beautiful tulip images!
Jeff and Paige Online Concert
Get out your fairy, elf, flower, or butterfly costumes and join Jeff and Paige for a FREE online concert to help usher in the blooming flowers of spring time.
The show, sponsored by City of Boulder's Open Space and Mountain Parks, features information about how to stay safe on the trails, now, and always, as we share these lands with each other and the wildlife of Colorado.
List of props to gather for your at home viewing experience:
- Three pillows that are ok to step on
- A favorite stuffy
- A stick that can become a magic wand
- Your wings: fairy, tulip, elf, bird, butterfly, etc.
Did you know that there are over 4,000 different kinds of tulips? You can find tulips in almost every color imaginable!
We hope this inspires some creative coloring with these five custom designed Downtown Boulder coloring sheets. The sheets are also included in our Downtown Boulder Coloring Book - free to every participant who completes our Tulip Fairy & Egg Scavenger Hunt (while supplies last).
Traveling Tulip Fairy & Expedition Elf
Instructions for playing the game (also included on the PDF downloads):
- Download the Traveling Tulip Fairy or Expedition Elf (below)
- Color in your Tulip Fairy or Elf with all the springtime colors you can think of
- Invite your Tulip Fairy or Expedition Elf along with you on your favorite stay-at-home adventures like playing outside, helping your parents cook, or quietly reading a story. Ask an adult to snap some photos!
- For older kids: Journal about the fun you had together!
- Send your journal and photos to a friend or a relative that you miss, by mail or email and encourage them to download their own Traveling Tulip Fairy or Expedition Elf for their own adventure!
Share your photos on social media and tag @DowntownBoulder #LoveTheLocal #TulipFairy2020